The first batch of kids comes to camp on Monday. Right now we have our first 24-hour time-off period. We've been doing orientation and set-up activites since I got here and it's all gone pretty well. I'm a little nervous that I don't really know what I'll be teaching on Monday, but I think I will be teaching a nature class and taking the kids on a little nature hike where I will try to incorporate some nature-related chinese. I wouldn't be too worried if it were just littler kids and I could teach them "tree," "lake," etc., but I am more worried about the older kids who might speak more Chinese and who will ask harder questions. I think I'll do ok though and hopefully the kids will enjoy it. I'm thinking I'm gonna try to get them to use compasses too.
I think that I am going to learn more Chinese myself this summer than any of the kids attending the camp though. It's really great practice because the staff all speaks chinese to each other more than English. I love it. The camp that we are at is pretty neat. Some of the buildings are a bit, um, 'rustic' (aka, old and kind of gross), but it is on a lake and I think overall it is a neat camp. The mosquitos haven't been eating me too bad and the weather has been ok. I think I am more afraid of getting a tick than anything else.
Hopefully I'll have a more interesting post next time after the kids have come. Zai jian!
Ramblings from a lingophile, pseudo environmentalist, former bus driver, and DC transplant.
6.10.2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I highly recommend that you seek out the cutest female Chinese instructor there with you and heartily sell her on the notion that the two of you should perform mutual, thorough nightly tick searches on each other. That way, even if you do get a tick, there is at least an upside to the whole experience.
Post a Comment